Earth Day Nail Art
Earth Day is all about awareness and appreciation of the Earth’s natural environment. It’s also a great source of inspiration and an opportunity to eduate those on what they can do to help our planet.
This year’s Earth Day falls on April 22nd and the campaign is all about protecting our species. I honour of this, I decided to create a sea life inspired Eath Day nail art design, with a focus on coral reefs and turtles.
Earth Day 2019
Over 25% of marine life live in coral reefs crossing borders such as the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans. Coral reefs help feed and shelter a range of species of fish, marine mammals and plants. However, 65% of coral reefs are under threat due to issues such as climate change, overfishing and chemicals.
What can you do to protect marine life?
- Recycle, recycle, recycle! Waste from landfills can eventually reach the ocean.
- Find alternatives to chemical pesticides and fertilizers.
- Reduce your plastic waste
- Conserve water – turn off the tap whilst brushing your teeth, don’t ignore leaks, only use the washing machine for full loads.
Make a statement in style! Earth Day Nail Art Tutorial
Here is a step-by-step breakdown of how I created the look:
1) Start off with a base coat
2) For the sea base, I used three shades of blue polish. Starting with the darkest shade and ending with the lighest, apply some strokes across each nail.
3) For the coral reef, using a red nail art pen trace a long line, with smaller lines coming off. Go over this with a white dots using a dotting tool.
4) I repeated step 3 on my thumb and pinky finger, using orange polish with yellow streaks to add a bit of colour.
4) For the turtles, you will need a dark and ligter shade of green. Starting with the lighter shade, draw a small circle on the corner of the nail (for the body of the turtle), followed by a smaller circle directly above that to represent the head of the turtle.
5) Using your darker shade of green (a nail art pen/dotting tool/any brush with a thin line) outline the shape of the circle, filling in horizontal and vertical lines in the body to represent the shell.
6) To add more effects to the sea, use your nail art brush to apply streaks of white and purple lines. Feel free to be creative with this. It doesn’ have to be perfect. Follow whererever your brush takes you.
7) Finish off with a top coat.
- Nail Art Dotting Tool – The Body Shop
- Nail Art brush (available on Amazon)
- Got the Blues (colour 620) Colour Crush – The Body Shop
- Blue Abyss (colour 680) Colour Crush – The Body Shop
- BarryM All in One Base & Topcoat
- High maintenance from Stranded Colour 41
- High maintenance from Stranded Colour 37
- Rio Red 2-Way Nail Art brush and Pen
- Rio Green 2-Way Nail Art brush and Pen
- HEMA Sea grass (shade 332)
- Colors White Polish
- HnM Baby Blue Polish
I hope you enjoyed this Earth Day Nail Art look. For more information on Earth Day and how you can get involved check out the official website.
Lots of love,