3 Summer Nail Designs for Short Nails
Short nails are like the middle child – they never get much attention. I admit, it’s a lot easier to create new designs on longer nails are there is more space to work with but short nails need some love too! I usually give my nails a big chop from time to time (which is fundamental for maintaining healthy nail growth) and thought it would be a great opportunity to create some simple summer nail designs for short nails.
Tutorial – Summer Nail Designs for Short Nails
Design 1 – Pink polka dot
This is a simple look that can give your nails a pop of colour. This design will work with any colours but the baby pink and white really give off a great summery look.
- Start by painting the base of your nails baby pink
- Using your dotting tool, insert dots across the nail. This can be any size, but smaller dots give a better finish.
- Finish off with a top coat – this is key as the white dots tend to fade quickly.
Design 2 – Multicolour shaped and patterns
What I like about this kind of design is that any colours will really work, I decided these ones based on a pair of trousers I have and just took it from there. I used these 3 colours throughout the design but played around with the patterns.
- Using your three colours (in any order), paint the base of each nail.
- Now for the fun part! Play around with the patterns for each nail e.g. triangular, oval shapes, leave some plain, use a dotting tool to add a few small dots on one nail. Go as simple or crazy as you like.
- Seal the look with a top coat.
Design 3 – Midnight Sun
This look is great for those who arent a big fan of bright pastel summer colours, but still want to achieve a ‘summer’ vibe with darker shades.
- Start by using a plain dark colour – I went for a very dark blue, but a black would also work.
- For the next part I used the following colours: light blue, grey, purple and white. Using a very thin coating of nail polish I painted small strokes on each nail. Think of this step almost like splattering a paintbrush on a piece of paper.
- Finish off with a top coat.
I hope you enjoyed these summer nail designs for short nails. It is important to remember that nail art is not just limited to longer nails, regardless of how small or big the canvas is, art is always possible! I hope you all have a wonderful summer (and if you are stuck at work like me, lets try and make the most of the weekends).
Lots of love,